Monday, October 05, 2015

It happened at the Fast Lane

As always, I was in a hurry. It was 9:15 AM and I had just 45 minutes to pick up my Suburu Forester from the Quick Lane car repair, drive home, change, and drive 3 miles to my tennis match. I grabbed my paperwork from the attendant and started zooming toward the cashier window. A slow moving elderly gent blocked this fast moving elderly gent. I started to pass Mr. Slowpoke; but just as I did, I noticed his bomber jacket with an air corp insignia.
 
I wheeled around and asked, "Were you in a war?"
"A war?" he roared. "I was in THE BIG ONE."
"Were you a pilot or mechanic?"
"Flew single and twin engines planes".
"Were they fighters?"
"P-38 Lightnings and P-51 Mustangs. Also C-47 transports."
"Did you do any flying after the war?"
"No, I was grounded"
"What happened".
"I made three crash landings, the third one with an engine on fire. I was in the hospital for a year. Had to learn to walk all over again."

Now I felt guilty as I had silently cursed him for being so slow.

"How old are you if you don't mind my asking?"
"90.8"

I never heard an age stated with a decimal point before.

"I love War Birds. How was it flying those babies?"
"The ground pounders got nothing but dirt. We flyers got sunshine and fresh air".

Great word picture, I thought.

"What's your name?"
"Chester Sowinski"
"Hey, I'm Polish, too. You sure are doing great for 90.8"
"Well, whenever I get checked out at Hines VA Hospital, they always say they take good care of me cause they don't want me complaining about them when I get up to St. Peter".
You won't hear that on the evening news when some pol scores points bashing the VA.
I remembered my tennis match and said, "Chester, it was a pleasure meeting you".

Chester smiled. I don't know who felt better; Chester Sowinski, appreciating a stranger inquiring about his effort as a member of the Greatest Generation; or me, appreciating what's really important. I already forgot today's tennis scores. Don't think I'll ever forget Chester Sowinski.
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home