Tuesday, May 02, 2017

Shaller's Pump runs dry..but Woodlawn Tap's still flowing

I love old neighborhood bars. That's why I was saddened by closing of Shaller's Pump, 3714 S. Halsted after after 136 years yesterday, tho I never drained a stein there. But I have downed quite a few at another historic Chicago dive bar, The Woodlawn Tap, a.k.a. Jimmy's (Est. 1948), at 1174 E. 55th Street over the past 51 years beginning with my first legal drink on March 10, 1966. Truth be told I was a fervent underage scofflaw in the days when Chicago bars were oblivious to my cherubic appearance. Don't frequent Jimmy's, or any bar very much these days, in a futile attempt to hold back the aging process. But I'll make an exception this June 3 at High Noon when I re-unite with about a dozen UChicago fraternity pals at Jimmy's to celebrate our 50th UChicago Reunion. The joint is unchanged a half century on...but our joints sure have.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home