Monday, May 03, 2021

LSD forever

 


I've never been a fan of naming streets and buildings for famous (or infamous as we've come to know) dead people. But with so much to agonize about, I don't pay such frivolity much attention. Must admit, however, I'm a bit bummed about renaming Lake Shore Drive for Jean Baptiste Point DuSable, the Haitian native credited with founding Chicago nearly 250 years ago.
DuSable hasn't exactify been ignored. Besides famed DuSable High, we got the DuSable Museum, DuSable Bridge; even a bust of DuSable adoring Michigan Avenue nearby the bridge. Additionally, Mayor Lightfoot is moving ahead to complete DuSable Park and renaming the Riverwalk for our founder.
But whatever happens, it will or me, as I'm sure for many, forever be Lake Shore Drive, or even more affectionally, LSD. Took many mind blowing trips on LDS in my wasted youth, and not a single one chemically induced. The 2 most fascinating were on my trusty 21 speed along with about 50,000 others without a car in sight and gasoline fume free.
Aliotta Hanes & Jeremiah's ode to Lake Shore Drive is among my favorite songs of the rock era, Whenever I hear it, like just now, I get a flashback.....of 'slippin' on by on LSD'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home