Friday, September 20, 2013

Dodging overhead slams and bullets at Cornel Square Park

I took note of the horrifying report of 13 shot, likely by a military assault weapon, at Cornel Square Park, 51st and Wood in Chicago's Back of the Yards neighborhood, first because of the unprecedented number plugged from one senseless shooting; then by the venue. Forty years ago I would meet my tennis buddy there as it was roughly equidistant from my Hyde Park digs and his Brighton Park pad. We played there many times, with nary an altercation nor even a hint of interpersonal trouble. The biggest danger was getting in the way of a 70 MPH overhead slam and occasionally I got nailed.

All things considered, I'll take facing those overhead slams back then versus trying to survive a basketball game without ending up like a piece of swiss cheese today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home