Friday, May 17, 2019

Hooray for abortion


I proclaim 'hooray for abortion' in the same sense I proclaim 'hooray for brain surgery, hooray for prosthetic limbs and hooray for hear​t transplants'. Whatever improves the health of people is their business. I would no more restrict their efforts of securing better health and life options than I would allow them to restrict mine. Nor would I ever use underhanded means to subvert their constitutional right of privacy needed to embrace such medical attention.
Alas, red state legislators are doing both with their restrictive and likely unconstitutional laws virtually outlawing all abortions for women without the means to dash off to a progressive state like Illinois to get what they most certainly deserve right at home. These laws put millions of women in those states at risk of having to run a cruel gauntlet of shame, poverty, and possible back alley practitioners to obtain possibly the most basic right a human being is entitled to.
I'm not trying to convert any anti abortion person to applaud abortion. I simply encourage them to not ever have one if they find themselves pregnant; counsel their loved ones to do the same; even stump for a constitutional amendment to overturn Roe v. Wade, if that's their fancy. But an end run around the Constitution to inflict untold pain on the have nots in desperate straights earns my fervent opposition.
Hooray for abortion...and may it become a basic human right in all 50 states...and around the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home