Friday, January 03, 2020

My money and my vote still go to Bernie


Entering University of Chicago in 1963, a scruffy Brooklyn upperclassman there was spending his college years working for civil rights and an end to the Vietnam War. Tho I dabbled in both movements I never met this gentleman. But if someone told me that 53 years on I’d be contributing money and my vote to elect him president I’d have considered that person on his way to W-3 (UC mental health facility). And four years later I find myself contributing a few bucks and set to vote once again for Bernie Sanders for President in the Illinois Primary, March 17.
With Julian Castro’s withdrawal, 14 Democratic candidates remain standing. But to my ear they all take a back seat when Bernie rises to speak. He is the most authentic, the most sincere, the most consistent and the one who most speaks to my values, hopes and yearnings for a better America. Since it’s not clear that any Democrat can overcome billionaire billions, voter suppression and criminal outreach to foreign governments for electoral help, I’m staying with the one candidate I believe can energize the most non-voting voters who dropped out from cynicism that presidential politics cannot be meaningful. Without these voters we have barely a chance to unseat the moral degenerate and his Senate enablers befouling the White House. With these disaffected voters we have a fighting chance.
And frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn how old Bernie is. When Bernie speaks I’m transported back 57 years ago to the youthful, passionate classmates who always, always inspired me to give a damn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home