Wednesday, June 03, 2020

Be careful what you wish for


Compared to untold millions, the pandemic has affected me barely a whit. Neither I nor any in my family has experienced death, illness, financial ruin. My minor inconveniences are insignificant to those so affected. The worst has been occasional panic attacks that I’ve got the bug and it will kill me. They started when cooped up in a room with 40 other seniors at history seminars in FL just when the country started shutting down in mid-March. A day long trip to Kennedy Space Center with thousands increased the angst.
The 24/7 news cycle hasn’t helped but it’s hard to turn away. Subconsciously, I yearned for something to knock pandemic from the endless coverage. Little did I realize that a deadly knee to the neck would quickly escalate peaceful protests to civil unrest and riots nationwide not experienced in half a century. Calling out the National Guard is becoming as common as sheltering in place.
Given a choice, I’d go back to 24/7 pandemic coverage over seemingly intractable racial divide that defies solution in a heartbeat. Be careful what you wish for….indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home